Steel and Blizzard Split

Contact: Sarah Waldhauser                                                           

Communications Intern                                                            



ALEXANDRIA, Minn.-The Twin City Steel went 0-5 on their power play as they were defeated by the Alexandria Blizzard by a score of 12-2 on Friday night at the Runestone Community Center. 

The first period was controlled by the Blizzard.  Forwards Ian Ecklund and Joe Anderson each tallied three points as the Blizzard scored three unanswered goals.  The first came at even strength from Ecklund at the 12:15 mark.  Anderson added both a power play and an even strength goal to give the Blizzard a 3-0 lead over the Steel at the end of the period.

The Blizzard carried their momentum into the second period and had no trouble finding the back of the net.  They scored five even strength goals and one on the power play to take a 9-0 lead.  The Steel got on the board with an even strength goal from forward Cory Johnson at the 15:52 mark, with the assists going to Calvin Miska and Jerod Sabaska.  The Blizzard scored twice more at the end of the period to take an 11-1 lead heading into the third.

The final 20 minutes of play were rather subdued.  No penalties were called and both teams added a goal.  Steel forward Alexander Konnov lit the lamp for the away team at the 15:31 mark.  Calvin Miska picked up his second assist of the game while Ryan Zerfas was awarded the second helper.  The Blizzard converted on their power play at the end of the period to give a final score of 12-2.


VADNAIS HEIGHTS, Minn.-After suffering a dismal defeat on Friday night the Twin City Steel came back to redeem themselves on Saturday at the Vadnais Sports Center.  Goaltender Jackson Germaine was superb and made 35 saves as the Steel completed their first shutout of the season and defeated the Alexandria Blizzard 5-0 in front of the home crowd.

The Steel struck early in the first period as Calvin Miska got the first goal on the board at the 6:37 mark.  Jace Childs and Alexander Konnov each picked up an assist on the goal.  Childs then found the back of the net with 12 seconds to go in the period to give the Steel a 2-0 lead.  Miska and Isaac Hale tallied assists on the goal.

There was no scoring in the second period.  The Steel were unable to convert on a five-minute power play that resulted from a slashing major on the Blizzard’s Zach Kihle at the 6:37 mark.  The Steel’s penalty kill was solid as they were able to successfully kill off two minor penalties during the period.

It was an exciting third period for the Steel.  Childs lit the lamp for the second time with assists from Miska and Konnov to give the Steel a 3-0 lead.  Jerod Sabaska dropped the gloves with the Blizzard’s Drake Hunter and got the crowd roaring at 7:31 of the period.  The Steel finished off the game by scoring two shorthanded goals from Konnov and Dylan Lincoln during the same penalty kill (and just 15 seconds apart), giving a final score of 5-0. 

Both teams went 0-6 on their power play and the Blizzard outshot the Steel 35-32 during the game.  Steel captain Isaac Hale was a +3 in his return to the lineup after being sidelined Friday night with an injury sustained during last weekend’s series with the North Iowa Bulls. 


NEXT UP-The Twin City Steel (3-10-1) will face off against the Minnesota Flying Aces (2-10-0) on Sunday, November 3rd, at the Exchange Arena in Little Falls and again on Wednesday, November 6th, at 7:05 to complete the series.