Weekly Update: March 15th-21st

The New Ulm Steel had a busy week with 4 games on the schedule.

They started out their week on Wednesday night in Sauk Rapids against the Granite City Lumberjacks. The first period had a slow start, but that changed when Bauer Barry scored his 2nd of the season; Joey Gimberlin and James Spaargaren grabbed the assists on the goal. Griffin Foster had a solid first period as he stopped 20 shots on net. The Steel came into the second with an early goal by Tommy Michelsen with his 6th of the season, unassisted. Jake Saver scored his 3rd of the season about midway into the 2nd, assisted by Parker Dorn and Joey Gimberlin. The Lumberjacks quickly responded with a goal, followed by a cross-checking penalty on James Spaargaren. Steel’s Corey Stormer didn’t approve so he lit the lamp shorthanded, assisted by Joey Gimberlin and Parker Dorn. The third period did not get going until Joey Gimberlin put up his 8th of the season midway through; assisted by Teddy Lillico and Noah Rauschenberger. The Steel took the win 5-3.

Friday night, the Steel took their last trip to Willmar before they meet them on home ice one last time. The first period showcased a lot of d-zone time for the Steel. Griffin Foster and the Steel held off 26 shots to end the period at an even 0-0. The WarHawks put up two goals in the second period. Steel took 2 penalties late in the period as Jake Saver was the lone taker of a roughing minor after a scuff in front on the NU net. Nate Looft then took a slashing minor to end the period. The third period started with a 52-second penalty kill by the Steel followed by a quick goal at 55 seconds in by Joey Gimberlin, assisted by James Spaargaren. The WarHawks put up two more goals in the 3rd period and ultimately took the win 4-1.

The Steel returned home on Saturday to face the Alexandria Blizzard. The first period was a slow start to the game as neither team put up any goals or penalties. The second period was rough as the Blizzard put up 3 goals followed by a late period fight between Steels’ Nate Looft and Blizzards’ Sean Kenny. Both players received a 5-minute fighting major and a game ejection. Tommy Michelsen put the Steel on the board early in the third period with an assist from Jacob Zowin. The Steel pushed to comeback putting up 17 shots throughout the period but could not get the puck past Blizzards’ Bailey Rosch. Alexandria took the win 4-1.

Sunday featured an early game against the Granite City Lumberjacks on home ice. The first period started on the slower side with the Steel putting up only 4 shots and the Lumberjacks putting up 11 shots; neither team put one in the net. The second period came and went with Granite City putting up 3 goals with each team putting up a few penalties. The game ended with Granite City putting up 2 more goals to win over the Steel 5-0.

The Steel go on the road for two games Wednesday, March 24th, and Friday, March 26th to take on the Alexandria Blizzard for their last two meetings of the season. They return home on Sunday, March 28th for their last and final game of the season at 6:10 against the Willmar WarHawks.